- Tracy K. Smith The evening will include story-telling, readings, conversation with the nation’s foremost poet. Ms. Smith is the author of Wade in the Water and Ordinary Light: a Memoir. She will be available to sign books and to meet the public following her presentation. The event is free and seating will be general admission.
When: Monday, April 1, 2019 7:30 PM - 9:30 PM
Where: Ashe Civic Center, 962 Mount Jefferson Rd, West Jefferson
- Spring Fest Spring Fest is Here! 34th year of celebrating art for Ashe County's young people! Activities will be patterned after the popular book "Where the Wild Things Are". Hands on activities will include magical monsters, wild horns and tails, float a boat, printmaking, texture rubbings, button making, clay monster pots and more! Festival food available for purchase. Free event
When: Saturday, April 6, 2019 9:00 AM - 2:00 PM
Where: Early Learning Center
- Ola Belle Reed Song Writer's Retreat The Ashe County Arts Council welcomes the weekend retreat of songwriting, making music, and celebrating the work of Ola Belle Reed with the Song Writer’s Retreat. The workshop will be held at the Ashe Civic Center Friday, April 12 through Sunday, April 14, 2019. It is open to songwriters of all genres and styles, and all accompaniment instruments are welcomed. Instructors include Cathy Fink, Alice Gerrard, Sam Gleaves, Claire Lynch and Marcy Marxer. For more information please call 336-846-2787.
When: Friday, April 12, 2019 - Sunday, April 14, 2019 10:00 AM - 2:00 PM
Where: Ashe Civic Center, 962 Mount Jefferson Rd, WJ
- Artifacts Fundraiser The annual ARTifacts Yard Sale. For a five-dollar admission, everyone is invited to a special preview party and sale. This year the yard sale will also feature a silent auction starting Friday night and ending by 10:00am on Saturday. Come and support the arts! The Ashe County Arts Council will welcome donations April 10-12 at the Early Learning Center from 9-5.
When: Saturday, April 13, 2019 8:00 AM - 2:00 PM
Where: Early Learning Learning Center
- MerleFest MerleFest, considered one of the premier music festivals in the country, serves as an annual homecoming for musicians and music fans. Held on the campus of Wilkes Community College in Wilkesboro, North Carolina, MerleFest was founded in 1988 in memory of the late Eddy Merle Watson, son of American music legend Doc Watson. MerleFest is a celebration of ‘traditional plus’ music, a unique mix of music based on the traditional, roots-oriented sounds of the Appalachian region, including bluegrass and old-time music, and expanded to include Americana, country, blues, rock and many other styles. The festival hosts numerous artists, performing on 13 stages during the course of the four-day event. The annual event has become the primary fundraiser for the WCC Foundation, funding scholarships, capital projects and other educational needs. Call 800-343-7857 www.MerleFest.org
When: April 25 , 2019 - April 28, 2019
Where: Wilkes Community College, 1328 Collegiate Drive, Wildesboro NC
- Music in the Barn - Local Talent Take it easy in Lansing and listen to the musical stylings of The Arnold Family and Cheyenne and Kevin Blevins.
When: Saturday, April 27, 2019 6:30 PM - 8:30 PM
Where: Lansing Creeper Trail Park, 250 Marcy Ln, Lansing